The advantages and disadvantages of forging include the following:
Advantages Of Forging
Parts produced by forging are stronger than casted parts or parts made in a machine. During the forging process the internal grain of the part changes its form and continuous forging for a few minutes strengthens the part's characteristics.
Disadvantages of Forging
- Hot forging prevents work hardening and hence increases the difficulty of performing other machining operations on the part.
- Producing forged parts involves a lot of expenditure for the machinery, dies, tools and personnel.
- Some forging requires metal-forming dies, which are required to be precisely machined and heated to properly shape the piece. This is not always achievable by novices or not very-high experienced engineers.
These were pros and cons of forging method.
- Latest Forging Techniques
- Forging Defects that Occur on Forged Parts
- Different Steel Forging Methods
- Forging FAQ
Tags: advantages of forging, disadvantages of forging